The indissoluble link of agri-food products with their territory of origin requires the preservation of ecosystems and biodiversity, and supports the social cohesion of the entire community. The valorisation of these products and the safeguarding of their peculiar characteristics, production methods, traditional recipes, and roots in the territory of origin, find an effective response in the PDO, PGI, and TSG marks, a quality regime implemented by the European Union with the aim of protecting and favouring the production system and the economy of the territory (EU Regulation No. 1151/2012).
Italy is the European country with the highest number of denomination of origin and geographical indication products recognised by the EU, exceeding 20% of the total. This is therefore a strategic sector for Italian agri-food production, which has been constantly growing in recent years.
The certification of PDO, PGI, TSG products is aimed at enhancing the value of the products and their territories of origin, assuring the end consumer that the products meet clear specifications that guarantee the brand that the consumer buys.
Certification also protects food producers, who are included in a control system under the responsibility of the Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policies (MiPAAF) and the Central Inspectorate for Quality and Fraud Repression (ICQRF), guaranteeing transparent and fair competition.
Italy is the European country with the largest number of designation of origin and geographical indication products recognised by the EU. The products for which ICEA is accredited to carry out control activities by the Ministry of Agriculture are the following:
- PGI (Protected Geographical Indication): Sorana Bean, Rocca Imperiale Lemon, Genzano Homemade Bread and Sila Potato;
- TSG (Traditional Speciality Guaranteed): Latte Fieno.
- Differentiate themselves from their competitors by demonstrating greater concern for a sustainable future and attention to maintaining biodiversity;
- Exploit new business opportunities;
- Raise staff knowledge, skills and awareness;
- Raise awareness of typical local products by boosting the local economy.
Bergamotto of Reggio Calabria
Neccio della Garfagnana flour
Tropea Red Onion
Lemon of Rocca Imperiale
Homemade Bread of Genzano
Potato of the Sila