Food preparation


Food preparation.

The organic standards set precise rules also for the preparation of plant and animal products, aimed at limiting the use of additives, flavorings and other non-organic ingredients with mainly sensorial and technological functions.

Only the mildest and most directly derived natural additives (citric acid, ascorbic acid, etc.) are allowed, for some of these the use of the organic version is encouraged (eg pectin, lecithin, carob seed flour, etc. .). Nitrites and nitrates are allowed only for cured meats and other meat-based products, with strong limitations in the doses of use.

The same is true for sulphites whose use is allowed only for the production of wine, cider (always with limitations in the final product) and for the conservation of crustaceans.

The aromas eventually added can only be those classified by the community legislation as “natural flavors”.

The use of ionizing radiation and any substance derived from or obtained from GMOs, even for the few conventional ingredients allowed, is always prohibited.

Only the multi-ingredient products containing at least 95% of certified organic agricultural ingredients (excluding water, salt, additives and natural flavors) can be defined as “organic“. The remaining 5% may consist exclusively of a few ingredients not available on the Community market and listed in a specific list of the regulation (Reg. CE 889/08, allegato IX).

The same ingredient cannot be present simultaneously in the bio and conventional version.

Organic production must take place by ensuring separate processes in space (thanks to dedicated systems) or over time. In the latter case, the plant must be adequately cleaned before starting organic production.

The records must allow a correct identification and reporting of the incoming and outgoing flows of raw materials and the finished product.



Notification of production activity with organic methods.
To the competent authority through the Biological Information System (SIB) or similar regional systems. The operator declares the type of activity, the productive units and the chains of activities subjected to the control. Preparation companies declare establishments where organic production takes place, including any subcontractors not directly subject to the control system.

Initial evaluation of the production process.
The operator presents a management plan in order to describe all the measures that it intends to take to ensure compliance with the organic requirements related to the activity conducted. The operators who carry out preparation activities provide the Annual Preparation Program (PAP), the list of suppliers of organic raw materials and the preparation recipes for all the products for which certification is requested.

Start inspection audit.
To verify the correct application and effectiveness of the declared measures of the management plan and other related documents. The suitability of the structures and the correct management of the company production processes in relation to the requisites required by the European legislation for the various sectors of activity is also evaluated.

Issue of the Justificatory Document and Certificate of Conformity.
based on the information and data collected in the assessment and verification process. The Certificate of Conformity shows the list of certified products and their classification based on the “organic” or “in conversion” production method. Product labels must be authorized in advance by the competent ICEA office.

Annual monitoring.
Through periodic inspections and analyzes planned on the basis of a careful analysis of the risks aimed at confirming the maintenance of the conditions of compliance and the punctual and correct keeping of the mandatory records, required for control purposes.