Recycled Claim Standard (RCS), certifies products obtained from recycled materials and validates the content of recycled materials.
The Recycled Claim Standard (RCS) is developed by Textile Exchange , one of the most important non-profit organizations that promote responsible and sustainable development in the textile sector internationally. With this standard, Textile Exchange intends to enhance the use of recycled materials to promote a production and sustainable consumption model that aims to reduce the consumption of resources (virgin raw materials, water and energy). The RCS provides a third party verified environmental statement which proves the content of recycled materials of the products (both intermediate and finished). All products that are made up for can be RCS certified at least 5% from pre-consumer and post-consumer recycled materials . The RCS criteria extend only to the following areas:
- composition of the product and content of recycled materials;
- maintenance of traceability throughout the entire production process in accordance with the criteria set by the Content Claim Standard (CCS) which is an integral part of the RCS standard.
Steps that do not require certification:
- Refuse collection
- Sorting, selection, grouping
- Random verification ; self declaration
Phases covered by the certification:
- Recycling of materials
- Every manufacturing process through which the recycled material is used to make intermediate products (for example: yarns and fabrics) or finished products intended for the consumer
- Marketing of RCS products
- Whole RCS Certification process