Global Recycle Standard (GRS), certifica prodotti ottenuti da materiali da riciclo e attività manifatturiere. Valorizza i prodotti realizzati con materiali da riciclo, nel rispetto di criteri ambientali e sociali estesi a tutte le fasi della filiera produttiva.
What it is certified
Global Recycle Standard (GRS) is promoted by Textile Exchange, one of the most important no-profit organization that promotes international responsible and sustainable development in the textile industry. With this standard, Textile Exchange acknowledges the crucial importance of recycling for the growth of a sustainable production and consumption model; it aims to encourage the reduction of resource consumption (virgin raw materials, water and energy) and to increase the quality of recycled products. GRS provides for the issue of an environmental statement verified by a third party to provide evidence of:
- the content of recycled materials in their products (both intermediate and finished)
- the compliance with environmental and social criteria in all sectors of the production chain.
All products that are composed of at least 20% pre-consumer and post-consumer recycling materials can be GRS certified. GRS criteria cover the following areas:
- Composition of the product and content of recycled materials
- Maintaining traceability throughout the entire production process
- Restrictions on the use of chemicals.
- Compliance with relevant environmental criteria which may concern: water supply; waste water discharge; and water discharges; energy recovery (use of selected waste; pollutant emissions into the air; production and management of waste; soil and groundwater contamination; management of hazardous substances, preparations and materials; noise emissions; emergency management
- Respect of social criteria relating to workers’ rights.
Phases that do not require certification:
- Waste collection
- Sorting, selection, grouping.
Phases requiring certification:
- Material recycling
- Any manufacturing process by which the recycled material is used to make intermediate products (e.g. yarns and fabrics) or finished products for the consumer.
How to certify
The certification process is divided into 3 main phases:
- Initial assessment of the products and production which includes, among other things, the assessment of the composition of the products for which certification is required, as well as the conformity and natural origin of raw materials and suppliers and the suitability of chemicals used in specific manufacturing processes.
- In situ inspection to verify: the effective compliance of products with GRS criteria; the proper organisation and management of manufacturing processes and internal procedures which could compromise the conformity of the product itself; the maintenance of the chain of custody to ensure that the recycled material is correctly identified and avoid confusion and/or substitution with other materials. At the same time, compliance with the relevant environmental and social criteria shall be verified.
- Issue of the Certificate of Conformity based on the information and data collected as part of the assessment and verification process.
Documents and downloadable files