UTZ certifies coffee, cocoa and hazelnuts.
Enhances and identifies on the market colonial products, obtained in compliance with environmental and social responsibility requirements.
What it is certified
Cocoa, coffee and tea are among the most popular products in the world and, even for these commodities, consumers’ attention is growing towards sustainable production.
UTZ is a non-profit organisation founded in 2002 that acts worldwide to implement sustainable agricultural production of cocoa, coffee and tea.
The programme proposed by UTZ is widely used internationally. At present more than one million farmers and workers in 36 countries benefit from certification, the UTZ logo was used in 2015 on 13,500 products in 136 countries.
The standard applies to the entire supply chain, from production, to processing and final packaging.
ICEA is recognised by UTZ for the certification of traceability of the sustainable chain and is capable to carry out inspection and certification activities in Italy for hazelnuts, cocoa and coffee supply chain, for which our Institute has been recognized since 2008.
How to certify
The certification process is divided into six phases.
- Membership request to be submitted directly to UTZ. Once obtained the UTZ member, code, contact ICEA to define the following steps.
- Signing of ICEA certification contract and tariffs.
- Initial assessment of products and production process. The applicant company shall provide the required documentation to assist in the pre-valuation and preparation of the audit.
- On-site inspection to verify the actual compliance with the requirements of the standard for specific productions and types of activities.
- Issue of the Certificate of Conformity based on the information and data collected as part of the assessment and verification process. The certificate shall be issued subject to ratification of the inspection report and certificate by UTZ.
- Annual or biennial surveillance through regular inspections to confirm the maintenance of compliance conditions.
Documents and downloadable files